Sunday, February 13, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Here's another winner I found from Melskitchencafe.com Best Recipes List. We just ate this for dinner tonight and I think I've found my favorite spaghetti sauce. I'll type the recipe up as she posted it, but I did make some changes.

My personal changes: I omitted the mushrooms and red pepper. I used 1 lb of Italian sausage only since my kids don't like the sauce too meaty.

*This batch makes a TON. I fed my family of 5, then filled two 48 oz. containers with the leftovers and put it in the freezer. Mel of Melskitchencafe.com says that the finished sauce freezes well. To serve, thaw in a refrigerator (about a day) and reheat over medium-low heat in a pan on the stove. It's always nice to have delicious spaghetti sauce on hand.

3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 c. onion, chopped and divided
1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
2 lbs. hamburger
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 12 oz. can tomato paste (or two 6 oz. cans)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 teaspoons dried oregano
3 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 14-oz. cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
2 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 carton fresh mushrooms (optional)
1 1/2 c. beef stock or beef broth
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 bay leaves
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add 1/2 of the onions and saute until translucent and slightly browned. Add garlic and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add beef and cook until no red is showing. Drain beef slightly. Blend up the remaining onions and red pepper in a blender or food processor until mostly smooth. Add mixture to the garlic, onions and beef and stir to combine, cooking for another minute. Add tomato paste and spices and cook for 1 minute, stirring until combined. Add tomatoes, beef broth and sugar (and mushrooms, if using). Stir until combined and add the bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Fifteen minutes before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar.

No comments: