Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

SO GOOD. I made this tonight and I have to say this is the best I've ever had of this soup. I used garlic salt instead of regular salt. Serve it with crusty French bread for dipping.
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves,
shredded
1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long
grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
2 cups heavy cream
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
2.In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
3.Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.

2 comments:

byers babes said...

Wow. I LOVE wild rice soup and this is a different take on it. It's rich and creamy and oh so good. My kids practically licked their bowls.

carrie said...

I made this last night....sooo tasty. Very creamy. No doubt all that cream and butter added to the flavor. I'm holding on to this recipe. Thanks!